At Pieology, we think every ingredient is special and deserves a space to shine. Our Tasty Explorations blog is all about inspiring you to try one of the fresh and delicious ingredients showcased here to create your own uniquely personalized pie.
First up, our 3-Cheese Alfredo Sauce — the key ingredient in Pieology’s Alfredo’s Alfredo– one of our tasty Pieologist’s Favorite Pies.
Originating in Rome, Alfredo sauce is typically made by combining parmesan cheese and butter to create a smooth and rich sauce. Delicious creamy and served atop fettuccine, this sauce has quite an interesting – and tasty – past.
Let’s get saucy and check out five delicious facts about Alfredo sauce.
- Libro de Arte Coquinaria, a 15th century cookbook, was the first to mention fettuccine with butter and Parmesan cheese.
- According to legend, in 1908 restaurateur Alfredo Di Lelio whipped up a dish of pasta and topped it with Parmesan cheese and butter. He made it for his wife who had just given birth to their son and needed a hearty dish to regain her strength. After greatly enjoying it, she suggested he add it to the menu, which he did.
- Hollywood celebrities Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks loved Alfredo Di Lelio’s dish so much they bestowed him with a solid gold fork and knife as a thank you. They also started serving his recipe in America, where it instantly became world-famous.
- In Italy, “Fettuccine Alfredo” is usually called “Fettuccine al burro.”
- Our Alfredo’s Alfredo Pizza was created by Pieologist, Alfredo Sanchez from our Fullerton, CA restaurant:
The next time you stop by, try our Alfredo’s Alfredo: 3-Cheese Alfredo Sauce, Olive Oil, Parmesan, Mozzarella, Garlic, Mushrooms, Artichokes, Fresh Basil, Grape Tomatoes, Black Pepper.
Or here’s some more Ins-Pie-Ration!
- House-made White Crust, Herb Butter, 3-Cheese Alfredo Sauce, All Natural Chicken, All Natural Bacon, Mozzarella, Crushed Red Pepper, Fresh Spinach Afterbake
- House-Made Whole Wheat Crust, Olive Oil, Alfredo Sauce, Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Spinach, Grape Tomatoes